Tuesday, July 26, 2011

#28: Oh Henry Bars

This is an Oh Henry Bar. Am I right?

Apparently in the baking world, it's not. The following recipe was a bit of an accident, not exactly one I was planning on creating. On Sunday, Stephen and I were FINALLY planning to head over to his Korean friend's house for dinner, and I had wanted to bring some of my fruit pizza to share with them. Naturally, the fruit pizza disappeared before I could get it to them, so I was left scrambling last minute for something to make them. Looking through the only cookbook I could find at Stephen's apartment, I found one recipe that I had all the ingredients for: homemade Oh Henry bars. This recipe is slightly different than the candy bars I remember as a kid, but still fairly delicious. 

#28: Oh Henry Bars (as found in the Wild Strawberry Lodge Seafood and Dessert Cookbook)

Ingredients:

3/4 cup butter, melted
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
chocolate chips
peanut butter

Directions:

1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. 

2. Mix butter, sugar, salt and vanilla in a medium mixing bowl. Add corn syrup and mix. Then add soda, flour, and oats; put in a greased 9x13 pan and bake for 18 minutes.
     - All right, this base is AWESOME, so good. I should've just stopped here, baked the base, and eaten that alone. The only problem was the 9x13 pan. It was MUCH too large for the amount of batter this recipe creates. The base ended up being SUPER thin, much thinner than most of the pictures of other Oh Henry recipes I've since looked up.

3. Melt chocolate chips and peanut butter and mix together. Spread on top of bars.
     - Not knowing the amount of chocolate chips and peanut butter to put into the pan was a pain. I ended up dumping practically the entire bag of chocolate chips I had in the cupboard, as well as about 2 cups of peanut butter and melted them together. I also added a little vanilla extract to sweeten it up. There ended up being more chocolate than the base though, which I think was a mistake. This was MUCH too rich for me.

I really hope the Koreans enjoyed this dessert. I felt awful knowing that this was probably WAY more sweet than they would've liked, but Stephen kept telling me the gesture of bringing something over was more than enough. Will this recipe be going in my future family cookbook? Eh, probably not, but at least I know I can bake by the seat of my pants these days.


Here is a picture of a bar I found on the internet... since naturally I forgot my camera again. I need to keep that thing glued to my side.

No comments:

Post a Comment