Tuesday, July 19, 2011

#24: Peach-raspberry Cobbler

After all of the chocolate we consumed last week, I decided it was time for something a little "fresher"... or I guess "fruitier." Plus, Stephen and I had talked about visiting his Korean family he had known on his mission, and I had really wanted to bring a little treat with us that I thought they might enjoy. Did you know that Koreans would prefer fruit to sweets for dessert? I didn't either... good thing I asked. Although we never did make it to their home on Sunday, we DID eat this delicious dessert and share it with my roommates, which is pretty dang awesome, if you ask me. Two of our favorite fruits put together into one delicious treat? Bring it on.

#24: Peach-raspberry Cobbler (as found on Better Homes and Gardens online [bgh.com])

Ingredients:

Topping-

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 tablespoons butter
1 beaten egg
3 tablespoons milk 


Fruit mixture-
1/2 cup sugar1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons water
4 medium peaches, peeled, pitted, and sliced (evidently this will make 4 cups, I didn't measure the slices)1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
1 teaspoon lemon juice2 cups raspberries

1 additional teaspoon of sugar to coat the topping 

Ice cream or whipped cream

Directions:

1. For biscuit topping, in a medium mixing bowl stir together the flour, the 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder, and cinnamon. Cut in margarine or butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine egg and milk; set aside.
     - All right, I feel like I need to do some clarifying on this step. Cutting the butter into the mixture is where you take your COLD butter and mash it up with a pastry blender. The mixture didn't resemble coarse crumbs at all, just a heads up. When all was said and done, it blended into the flour fairly easy, so there were small crumbs throughout the mixture. OH, and combining the egg and milk? Yeah, do this in a separate bowl from the rest of the dry ingredients. Luckily I read ahead and saw that you don't combine all of the ingredients until right before it goes into the oven, I was THIS close to just dumping all of them together.  

2. For filling, in a medium saucepan combine the 1/2 cup sugar and cornstarch; add water. Stir in peach slices, lemon peel, and lemon juice. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
      - Confession: I didn't see the use of buying an entire lemon and only using like a teaspoon of lemon peel... so I didn't, and the fruit turned out just fine. Also, I had some serious issues with my peaches. For whatever reason, I'm not the best at slicing fruit... it never looks very pretty. So, instead of the nice slices my mom would've made for a dish like this, I literally just cut chunks out of the peaches and threw them into the sugar mixture. It didn't look super nice, but it tasted good.
     - OH, and one more thing to mention: not only did I accidently buy white peaches instead of the usual "orangey" colored peaches (my bad), but one of the peaches I was going to use was rock hard. I only ended up using THREE medium peaches in this dish, luckily that didn't cause any problems. Phew.

3. Gently fold in raspberries. Return just to boiling, stirring gently to avoid breaking up the fruit. Transfer hot filling to a shallow 2-quart casserole.
     - I had no idea what a 2-quart casserole dish looked like. Google search told me a 9x9 pan or a 9x13 pan would work fine, so I used the guys' 9x13 pan.

4. Add the egg mixture all at once to the dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened. Immediately spoon topping into 6 to 8 mounds on hot filling. Sprinkle with the 1 teaspoon sugar.
     - I got 8 mounds out of this recipe. Make it work!

5. Bake in a 400 degree F. oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into topping comes out clean. Serve warm with ice cream or sweetened whipped cream.

This was delicious, even if it wasn't picture perfect. Most cobblers I have had in the past usually have a "granola-like" crust on top, but this one was really similar to the shortcakes I made earlier this summer. Fantastic, easy, and most people who tried it seemed to like it. I'm WAY too excited to try a few more cobbler and crisp recipes I have found, I think it's time to find an additional hobby, what do you think?



 Stephen's half eaten dessert, thanks for sharing, lover.

No comments:

Post a Comment