Wednesday, August 10, 2011

#33: Blackberry and Raspberry Crisp with Gingersnap Crumble

Yeah, it's a long title for a pretty simple dessert. Coming across this recipe was an accident. After being requested to make another cobbler, since the other one I created went over so well, I scanned the internet for anything involving blackberries (if you've ever been to a frozen yogurt bar with me *cough NICHELLE cough*, you know my obsession with blackberries all too well). At first I found a recipe I thought was a winner... until I realized there was NO sugar, brown sugar, or cinnamon to be found in it. Yeah, no thanks. Luckily, I found this bad boy. A perfect combination of summer berries and autumn spices, this one will leave you wanting to pull on a big, oversized cardigan and snuggle up to your boyfriend... or at least... that's what I wanted to do?

#33: Blackberry and Raspberry Crisp with Gingersnap Crumble (as adapted from tastykitchen.com... wonderful website, I discovered it because it's affiliated with The Pioneer Woman... which, if you haven't checked that site out, do it now)

Ingredients:

FOR THE FILLING:

18 ounces, weight Fresh Blackberries
8 ounces, weight Fresh Strawberries, Hulled And Sliced (I USED RASPBERRIES... I don't really like how strawberries hold up after they've been cooked, so I swapped them out for my favorite berry)
¼ cups Granulated Sugar
¼ cups All-purpose Flour

FOR THE TOPPING:

¾ cups All-purpose Flour
⅔ cups Packed Brown Sugar
1 cup Oats
½ cups Crushed Gingersnap Cookies (about 10 Cookies)
½ teaspoons Salt
¾ teaspoons Ground Cinnamon
10 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter, Cut Into Small Pieces
Vanilla Ice Cream, To Serve

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 375ºF. In a large bowl, gently mix together blackberries, strawberries (RASPBERRIES), sugar and flour. Pour the filling into a 9-inch ceramic or glass pie dish.
     - By the way, in the ingredients, I read the 18 ounces of blackberries and 8 ounces of strawberries as 2 cups of blackberries and 1 cup raspberries, and it turned out fine.



I love how blackberries and raspberries look together

2. In a large bowl, stir together flour, brown sugar, oats, gingersnap crumbs, salt and cinnamon. Add butter and, using your fingers, work the butter into the flour mixture to form a coarse meal. Sprinkle the topping over the berries.
     - WHOA, soooo much topping on this. I was worried I had done something wrong, but Stephen reassured me the finished product was great the way it was.


 Yep, Stephen insisted he take over smashing the gingersnaps with a hammer


Ugh, I wish you could've smelled this stuff. It smelled like Christmas!

3. Bake until the berries are bubbling thickly and the top is golden brown, 40 to 45 minutes. Check halfway through cooking and cover with foil if the top is turning too dark. Remove from the oven and let cool for 15 minutes before serving. Serve with vanilla ice cream.
    - I kept mine in for 40 minutes without any problems.

There you have it! Gosh, this treat puts me in the mood for fall leaves, apples, hot cocoa, and pumpkins, I don't know about you. The perfect transition into fall.



No comments:

Post a Comment