Monday, August 8, 2011

#31: Cindy McCain's Oatmeal-Butterscotch Cookies

Ahhhh, this recipe does my conservative, "we vote Republican!" heart a lot of good. Upon searching the internet for recipes containing both oatmeal and butterscotch (because, if you remember correctly, I was determined to outdo the woman at church and her phenomenal cookies), this little gem popped out. Apparently, Cindy McCain's cookies are known the world over as being absolutely delicious. I figured, if this recipe is good enough for a 2008 Presidential candidate, dang it, it's good enough for my future family cookbook. And dang it, IT IS! I created this cookies for Jeni's arrival into Utah, and brought the remnants with me on our trip to Bear Lake with the Bairds, and they disappeared. Works for me!

#31: Cindy McCain's Oatmeal-Butterscotch Cookies (as found on Food.com)

Ingredients:

3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cups rolled oats
1 2/3 cups butterscotch chips 

Directions:

1. Heat oven to 375°F. In a large bowl beat the butter or margarine, granulated sugar and brown sugar together. Add the eggs and vanilla, beating well.
     - I actually ended up making this recipe at my own apartment, since my roommates were both gone and I knew I wouldn't get in their hair. Unfortunately, the dial on our oven was... confusing to me, since I couldn't tell for sure what temperature I was dialing in during the pre-heating. I think it was somewhere between 375 and 400, but it definitely made a difference later on in the recipe.

2. In a medium-size bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture; stir until blended. Stir in oats and butterscotch chips. Drop by tablespoonfuls about 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets.

3. Bake for 10 minutes, until the edges begin to brown. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
     - 10 minutes? Uh, no. I left the first batch in for the recommended time and they were WAY too crunchy, so I slowed it down to around 7 and a half minutes. MUCH BETTER. Again, I'm not sure if this was because of the issues I had with the pre-heating, so who knows?

There you have it! Another simple, yet DELICIOUS, cookie recipe. Naturally, I YET AGAIN forgot to take pictures (you're all probably starting to wonder if I am actually baking these treats or not), but I did find the pictures from the recipe I used, and they're pretty true to what I got out of them. Check it.


No comments:

Post a Comment