Saturday, May 21, 2011

#7: Applebee's White Chocolate Walnut Blondies

We've all tried the blondies at Applebee's. Since their dessert menu is kind of limited, and with the amount of times you know YOU'VE been there (Wait, people don't visit Applebee's once a week like I used to? Um, whoops...), you knew you were bound to cave in and order it eventually. Since I first tried this particular dessert, I've been kind of stumped- just what exactly IS a blondie?

I love me some brownies. All kinds. Their slightly crunchy edges and warm gooey insides, all chocolatey and... mmmm. So, is a blondie just a... Caucasian brownie? Or is it more like a cookie? I've had a good three or four people ask me this very question since I've been going around telling anyone who will listen about how I'm taking on this recipe, and I STILL couldn't tell you the answer. I do KNOW that this recipe is DELICIOUS, and VERY close to the actual dessert at the restaurant. I am a culinary genius... AND I'm starting to get compliments along the lines of "Wow, Kristen, you're a REALLY good cook." Apparently my challenge is doing its job...

#7: Applebee's White Chocolate Walnut Brownies (as found on food.com)

Ingredients:

1 cup sifted flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/3 cup unsalted butter or 1/3 cup margarine
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 tablespoon vanilla extract 
1/2 cup white chocolate chips

*Maple Butter Sauce:

3/4 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup unsalted butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped (optional) 

Directions:


1. Preheat oven to 350ยบ 

2. Sift flour, add baking powder, baking soda, and salt; sift again.
     - If someone can explain the importance of sifting to me, I'll buy a... sifter. Mixing the ingredients together with a whisk is working wonderfully for me.  

3. Add chopped nuts; mix well and set aside.

4. Melt unsalted butter; add brown sugar and mix well.
     - This is called "creaming." Consider that a technique well learned by now. Has anyone else noticed how much butter I use these days? Holy guacamole, I'm going to be 400 pounds by the time this project is done...
  
5. Add egg and vanilla; blend well. 

6. Add flour mixture, a little at a time, mixing well. 

7. Stir in white chocolate chips. 

8. Spread in a 9x9x2-inch pan.
     - Yeah, my only complaint is this recipe makes an extremely small amount of blondies. Double up!!  

9. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean or with slightly fudgy-looking crumbs.
     - I left it in for 25 minutes, and it worked beautifully. Crunchy outsides, warm cookie-like insides. Kristen, for the win! *fist pump*

10. Serve with vanilla ice cream and maple butter sauce.
     - I skipped the ice cream. I'm sorry, but the blondie and sauce alone is decadent enough! 

 ---To Make the Maple Unsalted butter Sauce--- 

1. Combine syrup and butter, cook over low heat until butter is melted. 

2. Stir in brown sugar until dissolved. 

3. Add walnuts, if desired.
     - Do I want to add walnuts to my maple sauce? Uh, is the Pope Catholic?

This was SUCH a simple recipe, with the best results! Plus, again, it's another one of those recipes that is a cinch to make, but it looks super fancy and refined. For instance, I created this delight while talking, dancing around the kitchen, and listening to an 18-year old boy whine incessantly from the other room. Naturally though, the pictures I took DO NOT to this treat justice... so I bring you the pictures the website provided:
















No comments:

Post a Comment