I feel good about my accomplishment thus far. 50 recipes, for a non-baker! That's a fairly amazing task, if you ask me. Considering when I started in April, I had no real knack for anything kitchen related, so the confidence I have now is a HUGE improvement! Although I do eventually want to tackle the other 50 recipes I had planned to bake, I knew there was no way I could do those in the next five months... which is basically all the time I gave myself to finish my one year challenge. Plus, on top of that, I fully intend on starting my pre-wedding diet ASAP. Within the last year, butter has become a food group in and of itself in my diet, and that HAS to stop if I'm going to look good naked on my honeymoon... know what I mean? So I bring you the final recipe I will be blogging about for quite sometime... my apologies for those of you who REALLY enjoy reading my blog for culinary inspiration (all 8 of you... thank you readers!). I will however be using this blog to keep myself in line with my diet plans, and I am sure some of you will get a laugh with the techniques I am gearing up to use. I WILL BE BACK. Boom.
#50: Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese (as found on http://www.closetcooking.com)
Disclaimer- Yeah... this isn't technically a baked good. I had originally wanted to temporarily close my blog with a recipe that included yeast, since I haven't tackled that crud yet. I was even planning on trying a copycat Texas Roadhouse roll recipe I had found on Pinterest WITH their delicious cinnamon butter, but I just didn't have the time. Instead, I pulled up five or so recipes from my Pinterest and had Stephen choose one that we were going to make his family for dinner. This was the one he chose, and according to the fam, it's a winner!
- 1/4 cup cooked shredded chicken, warm
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon mayo (optional)
- 1 tablespoon carrot, grated
- 1 tablespoon celery, sliced
- 1 tablespoon green or red onion, sliced or diced
- 1 tablespoon blue cheese, room temperature, crumbled
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese, room temperature, grated
- 1 tablespoon butter
That is the "official" recipe... but I made some changes. We bought a delicious rotisserie chicken from Albertson's (which, those of you familiar with Albertson's know IT'S THE BEST!) and shredded it ourselves. Instead of using mayo, we used creamy bleu cheese dressing (buffalo chicken... come on, why wouldn't we use bleu cheese?), and we opted out of using the crumbled bleu cheese and onion.
This guy didn't include the BEST instructions, so I'm going to tell you how we did it-
1. Mix the chicken, hot sauce, carrot, celery and bleu cheese in a large bowl.
- For the eight people we were cooking for, this translated to 2 cups of shredded chicken, 8 tablespoons of Frank's buffalo sauce (my anti-drug), 4 tablespoons bleu cheese dressing, 8 tablespoons shredded carrot, two stalks of celery diced, and then I also added some of the shredded cheddar cheese to the mix.
2. Assemble sandwich and grill until golden brown and the cheese has melted, about 2-3 minutes per side.
- So, we took the sourdough bread we bought, spread bleu cheese on both sides, put a handful of cheddar cheese on one side, slathered on the buffalo chicken salad, placed the other piece of bread on top, and then spread butter on the outside of both pieces of bread. Stephen put them down on his new George Foreman (you're welcome!), and they were amazing!
I naturally didn't take pictures, but here is the picture from the website. These were DELICIOUS... clearly bad for you though. So good, SO BAD. I was only able to eat half of one before I had to stop. It was so rich! Try them... preferably before you start your post-holiday diets...