Monday, October 3, 2011

#37: Caramel Apple Cheesecake Bars

Yeah... read that title again. CARAMEL APPLE CHEESECAKE BARS. Over the summer, combing Pinterest for new fall recipes to give a go, this JEWEL popped out at me. I love all four of those words- combine them, and I am happier than a kid in a candy store. I needed an excuse to make such a RIDICULOUSLY decadent dessert- seriously, read the ingredients list, and you might gain ten pounds on that alone- what better one than a Baird family get together? My boyfriend, being the wonderful love bug he is, decided to come home for the weekend, and for that, he deserves TREATS! ... and I always deliver!

#37: Caramel Apple Cheesecake Bars (as found at thegirlwhoateeverything.com)

Ingredients:


Crust:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened


Cheesecake Filling:
3 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup sugar, plus 2 tablespoons, divided
3 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Apples:
3 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Streusel Topping:
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup quick cooking oats
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened 



1/2 cup caramel topping


Directions:



1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

2. In a medium bowl, combine flour and brown sugar. Cut in butter with a pastry blender (or 2 forks) until mixture is crumbly. Press evenly into a 9x13 baking pan lined with heavy-duty aluminum foil. Bake 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
     - 15 minutes, my foot. It took about 30 minutes. I'm not sure if that's because my parent's oven is AWFUL, but needless to say, I was getting SUPER impatient. I was able to finish all the other steps before this crust was even close to being done.

3. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese with 3/4 cup sugar in an electric mixer at medium speed until smooth. Then add eggs, 1 at a time, and vanilla. Stir to combine. Pour over warm crust.
     - SO. MUCH. CREAM CHEESE. I am a happy girl.

4. In a small bowl, stir together chopped apples, remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Spoon evenly over cream cheese mixture. Sprinkle evenly with Streusel topping. Bake 40-45 minutes, or until filling is set. Drizzle with caramel topping and let cool. Serve cold and enjoy!
     - Again, the time was WAY off. I think all together, I had it in for an additional 40 minutes. Unbelievable, right?

There you have it. It was good. And gone in under four hours. Probably a new record, but so worth it. MAKE THIS. 


... and yes, the bars were gone so quickly, I couldn't get a shot of them. My apologies.

No comments:

Post a Comment